The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

Winged things

Rhapsody

Um, I'm looking for creatures from different cultures that are humanoid and have wings.

Ex: angels, gargoyles, Harpies

But I'd like them to be from more than just Western cultures. I'm only familiar with Greek and some Chinese myth. So anything else Oriental, Welsh, Celtic, Indian, Latino is welcome.

Tengu - This is a japanese spirit. They tend to be swordmasters and resemble a cross between a man and a raven. The arms are feathered and I believe they can be used as wings in a pinch.

Kitsune- Japanese fox spirit. There's a couple schools of thought on them, but a few I've seen suggest that kitsune can sprout wings. They're otherwise shapeshifters that can look like humans or foxes with multiple tails.

I assume you don't want anything out of AD&D? *grins*

Explain valkyries again. What are they and the myth surrounding them. I can't remember.

I'd already thought of kitsune, but they aren't primarily humanoid in form.

Ooh, I like the tengu one.

Gyr, forgive my ignorance but what is AD&D? Sorry, I'm not much of a gamer.

I was thinking fairies. Like the fey. Anyone know anything about them?

Valkyries were the maidens that carried fallen heroes to Valhalla in Norse mythology, Valhalla being their version of heaven. (sort-of)

AD&D is Dungeons and Dragons. If your looking for winged creatures there are probably several in either the 2nd or 3rd edition Monster Manual and I would be more than happy to look for them if you would like.

Valhalla is the hall of heroes where a warrior would go if Odin believed him to be worthy of it (by valiant fighting and such). Valkryies are female warriors on horseback who would fly down in battle and carry off said warrior to Valhalla where they were basically party all day and night.

Mira got the definition of AD&D, so here's some of the 'fae' species (I'll avoid demons and angels and most dragons)

Pseudodragon - resembles a miniture red dragon and are three feet long (one foot body, two feet tail.) Their scales are red-brown rather then pure red. They communicate telepathically and can make animal noises such as purring, hisss, a chirp, or growl.

Alignment: Neutral Good.

They are telepathic, can see the invisable, are immune to sleep and paralyse effects. They can sting with their barbed tail or bite. Their sting is poisonous and delivers a sleep-poison that can render someone unconscious for a minute or one to three days, depending on whether or not the person can shake off the poison.

Pixie - resembles a small elf, but with longer ears and gossamer wings. They wear bright clothing, including a cap and shoes with curled and pointed toes. Pixies stand about 2 1/2 feet tall.

Pixies can turn themselves invisable at will, and even maintain that ability when attacking (unlike most invisability spells)

Alignment: Neutral Good

And that's about it for the more playful spirits. The other fae are nixies and a grasshopper-type fae.

Invent your own species of bloodthirsty aerial savages who breathe fire and drop large explosive chunks of lava from the sky onto unsuspecting peons

Call them Gawtors or Snalestors or Kroaleos or something stupid and made up

Then claim them as your own and sue everytime something even remotely similar comes out

"Ice Elementals using Magic Carpets? HELLO!!! I SMELL LAWSUIT!!!!"

And that's about it for the more playful spirits. The other fae are nixies and a grasshopper-type fae.

tsk tsk Gyr, there are more. I can't believe that you forgot Brownies!! Oh wait, where did you get your definitions from? Maybe that's why....

Gyrfalcon,

If you were looking thru the 3rd edition MM you missed this entry

Lillend

Lillends are mysterious visitors from another plane. Many are skilled in one or more forms of artistic expresion.

A lillend looks like a human or elf female with the lower torso of a multicolored serpent and huge, strikingly patterned wings like a bird's. The typical lillend's coils are 20 feet long.

Lillend are lovers of music and art. Gold, even food, means little to them, while a song, story, orpeice of artwork holds great value. The destruction of art and ill treatement of artists enrages them. Their grudges are infamous, and they are often encountered seeking violent retribution against enemies of their favorite arts.

Also I dug out my 2nd edition MM and found this one.

Sylph

Sylphs are beautiful humanoid women with wings like dragonflies. Their wings are 4-5 feet long and translucent, clear or spotted with iridescent color. Their long, bright hair may be any "normal" color, or blue, purple, or green. They wear flowing, diphanous robes wich accent their wings or hair.

Sylphs are related to air elementals and nymphs, perhapse originating as a cross-breed between nymphs and aerial servents. They speek common and their own musical language. Sylphs are friendly and may befriend andventurers and give them aid in exchange for a favor.

Hope one of these two creatures is something like what you are looking for.