The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

No. 54

Mira

Sorry to waste your time. This "poem" is only garbage disguised as flowery words.

A wind

A breeze

Came blowing thru the trees

And carried with it

Rain and Tears

Pain and Fears

Hope and Joy and Me

Yep, 100% Grade A garbage. But that was the point.

As Pere was pointing out to you Mira, there is more to creativity than you first may see. You posted your poem for a reason. You chose to call it "garbage" for another reason. You are of course entitled to your own perspective on your work - however - I quite enjoyed this. It may have few words, but I feel the message is a "big one".

I want to see more of your work - but I don't want to see you calling it garbage at the start m'kay? ;)

I'm attempting to remain objective here. By calling a work "garbage", a poet is typically either:

1 - Truly attempting some honest self-criticism of a work. The poet may feel the work is unfinished or incomplete, or just not worth much notice. However, most poets who feel this way would not actually post the work for public view if they felt this way, leading me to my second possible conclusion, which is that the poet is...

2 - Fishing for sympathetic compliments. It's always easy to be self-deprecating and seemingly pessimistic, which will bring out the pity comments which some seem to thrive on. If the poet is not, in fact, looking for any such validation, it could possibly mean that the poet is...

3 - Trying to make a point about poetry in general. Many poets and writers reach a point where they feel that work is almost always some form of recycled or remanufactured. By intentionally writing such an insincere work, the poet could be trying to prove this point to the audience. The poet may even be trying a form of "cleansing", by which the poet writes an intentionally manufactured poem in order to remove it from the poet's psyche. The poet in this version of events would handidly admit to creating such a work, so as not to have it confused with other works the poet is actually proud of.

Of course, I could be completely off base, and the post is some form of secret code phrase necessary to the activation of hoardes and hoardes of ninja squirrels. Who can tell the mind of a poet?

Hi Mira,

I enjoyed this too. I don't think it's 'flowery', on the contrary I think it's clean and fresh. I like how the initial linebreaks slow down the reading. I also like its brevity, clarity and simplicity.

Thanks for posting. :)

Cerulean.

By "garbage" I meant that it is worthless. I wrote this with the express purpose of pointing out how poetry can so easily lose it's real meaning, as theme and tone is replaced with massive amounts of "filler" imagery. Sorry, I'm a big fan of Walt Whitman and E. A. Robinson. Less rhyme, less flow, more substance. If somebody can come up with a meaning in my poem they're wrong, because there wasn't one.

half the meaning of a poem is brought to it by the author.

the other half is brought to it by the reader.

that the author may have intended meaningless fluff does NOT negate the meaning the words may have in the lives of those who read the words and find something within them that touches their soul.

Poetry is a medium of sharing life's experiences

words are the tools we use to do so

ANY time you put words here to be read, whatever you may have intended, what those words mean to someone else may be very different.

to you, perhaps it's garbage.

to someone else, it may have been just what they needed to make sense of a moment in their life.

would you call that sense, which you helped them to find, garbage?