The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

Duty, Chapter 1

Kendricke

Preface: For some, this is an old story revisited, and for others this will be an entirely new work.

Before I begin however, I'd like to take a moment to point out why I'm posting this here as a new story when it is in fact an old one from the Legion's time within Archmage. Firstly and most importantly, the story as written was never actually finished. I had written three short chapters on it, when the story itself was hijacked by a few others who took the tale in a direction that I had no anticipated nor desired, so I allowed the tale to wither on the vine rather than pick up where it had been forcibly left off.

I should also point out that many of the characters in this tale are no longer Legionnaires, nor would they likely feel comfortable being associated with the Guild or particularly me as an individual at this point in our lives. The resurrection of this story is not intended to disrespect those individuals who may feel in such a way, but rather to respect the way they - at one point - viewed the Guild and myself. In respect to the historical aspect of the story itself, I personally feel it would be wrong to change key characters or plot lines now based solely on how events have turned out. With that in mind I will be attempting to edit and complete the tale as originally intended, without strange plot twists or characters being interjected by the reading audience.

Each chapter will be posted separately and with sufficient time between for commentary and discussion to take place as replies within. I only ask that no one attempt to add new chapters or plots to the story as it is being revealed. With that being said, I hope you enjoy Duty.

------------------------------------------------

The Guards protested only slightly at the presence of the Defender of the Sacred Rose. Her presence was needed for their Lord and brother Kendricke. She was, after all, his kaishaku on this day. Though the boy they adored had given explicit orders to the Dominion that none should be allowed within his chambers, they allowed her entry with nary a hesitation.

"Konichiwa Kendricke-Sama", the First Knight and Samurai of the Legion of the White Rose performed a ritual bow within the waiting room of her young Guildmaster.

"Guildmaster", she thought to herself, letting the word mill in her mind a bit. It was still too foreign a word to her, and she privately preferred to think of her Lord as Daimyo, but it was his wish to hold with the traditions of his lands, and she had no desire to disrespect her Lord.

"Konbawa Madoka-san". Kendricke replied quietly, and his voice sounded almost curious and inspired. He sat in the traditional lotus position, facing the large plate window that looked out upon the western borders of his own Kingdom, the Arakk Mountains. His head was newly shorn, and he wore his familiar sackcloth robes. Madoka noticed his ritual kimono hung upon the same rack she had given it to him on, some years ago.

"Is not the setting sun beautiful this evening?"

Madoka forced the tears away before they had the chance to well up. She knew that this would be Lord Kendricke's last sunset, and here he treated it as if it were just another day. In the morning, she would be one of two Honoured seconds at his seppuku, and the thought of a life as Ronin was nothing compared to the thought of a life without THIS one.

"It is indeed, Honoured Lord".

"Madoka!" He spoke wryly as he turned slowly, rising from his meditative posture, "There is really no need for such formalities yet, is there ?"

He followed her gaze, and looked at the kimono across the room. He smiled gently, and Madoka felt her cheeks burn from the sudden embarrasment. In shame, she looked down.

"M'Lord...It's just...I...Wakarimasen!"

Kendricke looked away. Silence descended upon the room. Minutes passed with only the sounds of cicadas in the distance, and the young darkness that comes from a distant sun giving its last farewell to yet another day.

Madoka had been raised a Samurai. She understood duty, and honour, and sacrifice. At her Lord's whim, she would thrust herself upon an enemy sword, and gladly lead her army to do likewise. Obedience to a Samurai was as natural as the stars in the night sky. However, this mage was not Samurai, and her time within his "Legion" had changed her in ways she was only just beginning to fully understand. She found that her opinions mattered a great deal, and that sometimes disobediance was important - sometimes MORE important than blind faith. Those she encountered in this Legion were as varied as sea shells. Yet, all shared common goals and visions. She's fought alongside 100,000 bushin at the Battle of the Thousand Rivers, and never felt the power she felt within a single meeting of the Orders within the Grand Keep at the Halls of Honour, the capitol of the Legion's vast member-kingdoms.

Madoka looked upon the still silent Guildmaster she'd sworn Allegience to so many years ago. He had not aged one day in all that time. The stories she heard had once seemed fantastic, and she originally thought them fancy, yet in all her time with the boy Guildmaster, she had never thought to ask him if they were true. She'd always assumed he would tell her of his origins, when the time was right. Anger began to swell in her breast and she felt her temper rise, a flaw in her upbringing that she had never fully overcome. She had wasted her time! She could now see the many opportunities she'd missed spread out before her as a table buffet: He would never see another sunset from this room, and in fact, within another hour, he'd never see this room again either, when she helped him to his caravan bound for the Halls of Honour. He would never finish his Japanese lessons. He would never see her homeland. He would never perfect his mokuso. He would never share the story of his origins with her.

Just then, Kendricke broke the silence, "It is time, is it not?"

Duty. Years of training and conditioning took over at once, and the anger was gone as if it had never existed.

"Yes, M'lord. At once."

Servants were summoned and they began to pack for the long journey. One of the younger attendants began to pack some of the Guildmaster's personal effects. Kendricke stopped him with a gesture.

"Where I go, these trinkets and baubles will not be needed."

The servant suddenly seemed to remember where Lord Kendricke was going, and fell to his knees weeping. Madoka struggled to keep her own composure for the second time in as many hours. Silently, she cursed herself for her lack of discipline.

Without a word more Kendricke left the room, leaving his overcome attendant to grieve his Guildmaster who even now rode off to meet his own death.

Edited by Kendricke

Once again..offering criticism is something I cannot seem to do. My own skills in writing are not well defined and it's obvious that yours are much more advanced. As just an observer there is nothing that stands out that should be noted for change. It's actually kind of neat to read a story that has familiar names involved (granted I only know of one out of the two listed.) Guess it helps to view the character who I've met on a more informal level as a more formal character.

very powerful written setup for ritual suicide...

I'll have to read the following posts to understand the whys of it all I guess.

Definitely holds the interest, although you lost me on all the actual Japanese. I should watch more anime I guess.

Mm, I need to keep with my readign of stories more. By the time I read things everyoen else has already commented. ;)

The only comment I have is has, of course already been said--I wish for a few more translations. I got a bit confused in places.

I really like the way you build the mentor relationship.