The Walk

Kendricke

Old man comin' down the path he make.

Old man gonna see the night's embrace.

Old man tired seein' none her face.

Old man comin' down the path he make.

Old man gonna stop here fo' a while.

Old man thinkin' back 'bout her smile.

Old man knowin' he gots miles and miles.

Old man gonna stop here fo' a while.

Old man get up and he start again.

Old man leanin' hard onto his cane.

Old man walkin' off his hurt heartpain.

Old man get up and he start again.

Edited by: Lord Kendricke at: 6/28/02 7:28:54 pm

Interesting poem, Lord Kendricke. It reads very much like a blues song to me, and I can certainly envision it sung longingly to an old guitar melody of some sort...

Good uses of repitition, starting each line with "old man" as well as starting and ending each stanza with the same line. Perhaps these repitions hint at one of the themes of the poem, as the narrator's life seems to have gotten somewhat flat and monotonous after his girl left him and broke his heart.

The narrator, it seems, is trying to walk off his heartbreak, but references to him being an old man and "leanin' hard onto his cane" (l. 10) suggest that he does so unsuccessfully. The tone of the poem is also very sad and nostalgic, and shows that he hasn't had much luck in doing so. In my opinion, the principle theme of the poem is one common in many classical blues songs: that there is no true cure for a broken heart.

Simple, entertaining, and meaningfull. Thanks for posting it.

[image]http://members.shaw.ca/kea/am/wyvy.jpg[/image]

------------------------------

Almost a Dragon...

"My life is one big crime, I try to scheme through it." -Common, "The 6th Sense"

Owner of the Decanter of Endless Booze.

Edited by: Wyvern00  at: 6/28/02 7:34:24 pm

This is likely the result of reading Robert Frost while idly listening to R.L. Burnside. Though the song was meant to be enjoyed idly, I envisioned deeper meanings for those willing to delve into it a bit more. At least, that's how I felt when I wrote it.

I can see how you got the impression that his heart was broken by his girl leaving him, and that's the pain he can't get quite over. Then again, its perhaps my glass-half-full outlook that gets me to thinking there's a different angle.

See, I was thinking this old man's lost his woman to something more - likely death. He's trying to move on through life, as symbolized by the path, and finally gets too weary to go on without her. A decision is reached, and he realizes he's "gots miles" to go still, meaning that he's chosen to live on, even without her. This, to me, is why he gets up and starts walking again, even though he's obviously pained (the cane reference - good catch).

Dylan Thomas once wrote that we should "Rage against the dying of the light" and I love writing poems which embody the theme of fighting on, no matter the odds.

Then again, I do enjoy a good double entendre as much as the next fellow, and have always striven to write as many meanings as possible into my work. However, in this particular case, you caught me off-guard, as the meaning you interpreted (though a fantastic one I'd love to take credit for) was completely unintentional.

*sigh*

I suppose I'll have to keep trying before I get it "right" the first time. Then again, what fun would writing be if everyone got the exact same feelings and emotions from reading it.

Maybe there is no "right"...only true.

Edited by: Lord Kendricke at: 6/28/02 7:47:34 pm

How fascinating to read the two interpretations.

The only thing I have in common with either is a bluesy feel...

In my personal opinion on poetry, as long as the poem enables a connection between thought and feelings, the writer has succeeded. When it can be read and felt by many people on many levels, they've exceeded greatly.

-Peredhil

Guest Xradion

I actually saw a little of both interpretations myself while reading this poem. I couldn't help but read it out loud to myself singing a little improv blues melody (imagining the guitar or banjo in the background of course). Regardless of intended meaning, I think that both are present. And the poem certainly does have a blues feel to it. I suppose I didn't really add anything to this discussion, but I just wanted to say "keep up the good work."

Xradion,

The Horny Druid,

Scholar of the Ancient Arts,

Holder of the Eye of Odin.

"The only emperor is the emperor of ice-cream."

-Wallace Stevens

"When at home, do as the Homans do." –Xradion