at people who drove by

imagining what they were thinking

about the two crazy people

Walking down the road

It was the perfect time

the perfect place

for the two of us

but it was only me

Nice poem, Ozymandias. :-) It's definitely a piece that I sympathize with. I like how you build up the natural descriptions with greater and greater detail, only to relay the let-down of the poem by singling out the last line. The emphasis on the beauty of nature and the way that it makes you feel reminds me of some of Tanuchan's poetry in a good way. The hypothetical marching song experience also enhances the mood of the piece, and makes the let-down somewhat harder to take.

Nicely done, once again. :-) Thanks for sharing this poem here.

Hey Ozy,

I think you captured exactly that emptiness you feel when there's noone to share the experience with. I wonder though if you needed the last line to be so explicit? To me the longing, the loss resounded through the other lines. Not sure what to suggest instead, just something lighter?

Thanks muchly for sharing this, really enjoyed it - post more please!

*huggles* C. :)

• 2 weeks later...

CERRY!!!!!

*glomp*

Thankee, one and all. Wyv - marching was actually exactly what I was doing while experiencing that. Well, walking down the highway, but otherwise, yah.

Cer- Don't know why I have that closing line, exactly. I looked at the end again, after relaizing what you'd worte, and saw that the second to last line could be a closing line as well, but something just makes the line that's already there work better to me. *shrug*

Mira-

Be careful what you wish for.... ;>)

good material. look forward to the rewrite. you should do one, it's worth polishing... ya know tighten up some of the punctuation and grammer across the stanza beaks, strenghten a few verbs here and there, maybe nail down a few of the looser images, that sort thing.

rev...

Hey back to you Ozmeister! - Boy do I feel old, I had to Google 'glomp'. :D

And I agree, some lines just feel right to you as you've written them, you like them and you leave them. I'm all for the poem shouting its own preference!

Waiting for more still :P, huggles, C.

I love the vivid description. You make it nearly possible to see and feel the scenery, to see the perplexed and startled looks and hear faint cadences.

Actually, I thought the sense of "let down" at the end was perfectly appropriate given the content. What more appropriate sense for something which would have been perfect shared with another - who isn't there?

Realized the punctuation marks were fairly extraneous, so I took 'em out. The italicizing on the first "just" seemed silly now that it's not 4 AM, so I took that out.

"sky's" felt off-kilter, so I changed to sky; did the same with "velvety" to "velvet". They still convey the same ideas a bit smoothly...don't they?

Changed "as dusk has just begun" to "and dusk has just begun" because it felt like a better flow with the rest of the wording as well as giving more of an impression that all of the lines about the sky were simultaneously occuring.

"-lights were, especially" just looked wrong, and so became the more complete sounding "lights were especially so".

"as we imagined what they were thinking" became "imagining what they were thinking" because ten syllables just seemed too many, and even though the new version is still nine, it at least *feels* two or three shorter. And it's all about perception, isn't it? ;>)

"but it was only me", may or may not drive me insane - I've not had long enough to find out. I like it quite a lot, and still feels like an appropriate closer. I'm not sure if that's true only because that's where the thoughts that led to this poem abruptly ended and trailed off into inarticulate longing/ wistful contentment, or if there's more to it, but does that really matter? \:>\

It keeps seeming right and as though it could be replaced with something that so far escapes at the same time.